Thursday, October 9, 2008

First Chess Tournament




Riley has been taking chess lessons for two semesters at Montessori Center School. He has been asking us to let him be in a chess tournament since they sent the first flyers home last year. He used to bring home three copies each week - one for Jay, one for me, and one for our cat, Taco.

He was so excited when we relented and signed him up for a tournament in September. I guess he was ready. He placed fourth out of fifteen in the kindergarten division, and won a trophy. We had no idea what we were getting into. There were hundreds of kids and tons of parents. The entire gym was full of tables with chess sets. The parents were banished from the gym. I managed to snap a few photos with my point and shoot camera before the event started and from a little window in the door.

Riley had so much fun that before we even got in the car to leave, he started asking when he could go again. At least we will know what we are getting into next time.

1 comment:

Jay said...

As neat as it was watching him play chess at the tournament, I've gotten a real kick watching him play at home. There is a flash chess site that I've showed him and there have been several times where I'll walk in and he'll be concentrating on his moves.

I'm documenting the web site for posterity's sake: http://www.mdgx.com/chess.htm